Saturday, September 15, 2012

Vegetable & Thyme Almond Panang Curry

Yes, another Asian dish, I love curry. I saw this recipe on Finding Vegan - it was sent in by Made Just Right and the pic was so beautiful I KNEW I had to make this dish and give them credit. The sauce is awesome, and the vegetables are delicious but I think you could use whatever is in season and on sale and end up with an awesome curry. I did make a few changes in the amounts of some ingredients, I used cubed seitan instead of tofu and I added some sriracha to my leftovers since I didn't think the original was spicy enough (you know I love the heat.)
my photo in NOT nearly as beautiful as theirs - but it sure was tasty
  •   2 tablespoons Smart Balance® spread
  •   1 Vidalia onion, halved and cut into thin wedges
  •   1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
  •   1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  •   4 large cloves garlic, minced
  •   2 cup Silk® Organic SoyMilk
  •   1/4 cup Almond Butter
  •   2 tablespoons white miso paste
  •   1 tablespoon soy sauce
  •   1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
  •   1 tablespoon (or to taste) Thai red curry paste
  •   3/4 cup canned coconut milk
  •   1 tablespoon cornstarch
  •   8 ounces cubed seitan, drained
  •   1 zucchini, cut into 2-inch-long thin strips
  •   8 spears asparagus, cut into 2-inch lengths
  •   1 1/2 cup diagonally sliced sugar snap peas
  •   1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
  •   3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  •   2 cups cooked brown rice


Heat Smart Balance spread in a large skillet over medium-high heat.

Add onion, bell pepper, ginger, and garlic; sauté 2 - 3 minutes until starting to brown.

Add soy milk and almond butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, and curry paste in a large bowl. Stir to mix completely.

Add this mixture to the skillet, cooking and stirring until blended.

In a small bowl, stir coconut milk and cornstarch together to dissolve cornstarch.

Stir into panang and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.

Add seitan, zucchini, asparagus, snap peas, thyme, and cilantro. Reduce heat and simmer 7 to 10 minute s until vegetables are crisp-tender.

Serve over rice and sprinkle green onion (I didn't have any) over the top.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete