- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium summer squash, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- freshly ground salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans Rotel, original flavor, undrained
- 5 ounces Toffuti cream cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 10 6" corn tortillas, sliced into wide strips and then cut again (see pic below)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Follow Your Heart -this time)
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Heat a 1/4 cup water in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes.
Add the bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes more, stirring. Add more water if needed to keep the veggies from sticking.
Add zucchini, squash and garlic, and cook for about 8 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Add more water if needed so the veggies move around easily -- about 2 tablespoons at a time.
Season with salt & pepper, cumin, chili powder, and oregano and stir to coat.
Add the black beans and Rotel. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Drop the cream cheese into the skillet a spoonful at a time over the vegetable mixture, and stir until all of it is melted in and nicely combined.
Finally, mix in the chopped cilantro. Remove from heat.
Lightly spray a 7x11 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place enough of the vegetable mixture in the bottom of the dish to cover the bottom.
Top with 1/2 of the tortillas strips.
Top with about 1/2 of the remaining vegetable mixture.
Add half of the shredded cheese.
Add another layer of tortillas.
Top with the remaining vegetable mixture.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Top the casserole with the remaining cheese.