- 6 links Field Roast Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Vidalia sweet onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 box of your favorite type of pasta (I used bow-ties)
Slice sausages on a bias (about 1/2" thick) and brown in a large skillet with a tablespoon oil. Remove and set aside.
Meanwhile, peel and trim onion; slice in narrow wedges , top to bottom. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and cook onions until they become clear, stirring often.
Add garlic and cook about 30-45 seconds.
Add tomatoes, spices and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, wash and trim squash; slice into 1/4" slices. Add squash to sauce and lightly stir. Recover and simmer about 15 minutes (don't let the squash overcook.)
Add sausage and heat about 5 minutes.
Serve over your favorite pasta with some vegan parm.