- Sourdough bread, torn into 2" pieces (I had 1/2 a loaf leftover in the frig that I used)
- 1 bunch collard greens, center ribs and stems removed
- 1 bunch kale, center ribs and stems removed
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes, drained
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed
Scatter bread on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Let stand at room temperature to dry, about 2 hours.
Cook collards and kale in boiling water about 3 minutes to soften.
Drain greens, squeeze out all extra water and roughly chop. Set aside.
Heat 1/4 cup oil in large soup pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion. Stir often and cook until soft, 8-10 minutes.
Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, crushing in your hands to break up. Cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is evaporated and pan begins to get a little dry. About 10 minutes.
Add broth, beans, spices and greens. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Bring to a oil, reduce heat and simmer until soup slightly thickens. About 45 minutes.
To serve: add a few bread cubes to your bowl, top with soup.