- 1 1/2 large sweet onions, chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, sliced lengthwise and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 10 baby bellas, cut into thick slices
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 5 cups water
- 2 pounds white potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch chunks (I had baby potatoes and I quartered them)
- 1/3 cup tomato paste (half of a 6-ounce can)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups English peas
Heat a tablespoon of water in a soup pot over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook stirring frequently about 8 minutes, adding more water as needed. Stir in the mushrooms and garlic. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, adding water as needed.
Add the water, potatoes, tomato paste, Italian Seasoning and papriks. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the rosemary. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until carrots and potatoes are very tender.
Add the peas and cook about 5 more minutes.
I added a slurry of cornstarch and water (1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch to enough water to stir easily) to thicken this stew.