- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 can (6 ounce) no-salt tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (8-ounce) no-salt tomato sauce
- 3 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cans (15 ounce) beans, drained & rinsed (I used 2 black beans, 1 cannellini, 1 navy)
- 1 can (15 ounce) whole kernel corn
cup red lentils, rinsed and drained (but not pre-cooked)
Heat a large dutch oven to medium-high and water saute the onions and peppers for about 5 minutes (until they begin to soften). Stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed.
Add garlic and cook for one minute. Add water if needed.
Add the tomato paste, stir well and reduce heat to medium. Add a splash of water if needed.
Add remaining ingredients and stir.
Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally Once it's at a simmer, lower heat to medium/low and cook for about 45 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
Serve with cornbread and/or a good splash of hot sauce. Leftovers reheat well.
This makes about 12 cups of chili. It also will freeze well. But we ate all of ours!! Enjoy!<