- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 7 baby yellow or 3 Russet potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 small bunch kale, de-stemmed and torn into pieces
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 vegan Italian sausages ( I used Field Roast), diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan or nutritional yeast
Add a couple tablespoons of water to a large pot over medium heat. Sweat onions until softened.
Add garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Saute another minute, but don't let the garlic burn.
Add the potatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile brown the sausage in a nonstick skillet, about 5 mintues.
When potatoes are tender, add kale to pot and stir until it's wilted.
Stir in coconut milk and whisk in flour, (I prefer to mix the flour with just enough water to make a slurry, to avoid lumps). Stir well and sausages. Simmer until everything is hot. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.