- 1 package Tofurky Andouille Sausage, sliced into coins (1/4-1/2" thick)
- 1 1/2 cups Jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) can Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
Brown sausage coins on both sides and set aside. Prepare the rice as instructed according to the package, using 1 1/2 cups water and substituting the remaining amount of water what you would use with the 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth.
In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 - 7 minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic, celery, green bell peppers, Cajun seasoning and thyme and sauté for 2 more minutes.
Add the kidney beans, and stir well. Heat for a few minutes until the beans are warmed through.
Add the cooked rice and sausage to the sautéed vegetable mixture. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if desired.
Add green onions as garnish. Serve immediately.
Enjoy with hot sauce and a cold beer.