For the crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (1 stick) Earth Balance margarine (vegan), softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
For the filling:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 flaxseed eggs (1 flaxseed egg is 1 Tablespoon flaxmeal mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water)
- Additional powdered sugar for topping, if desired
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a medium bowl, mix the flour, Earth Balance and powdered sugar until well combined.
Press into an ungreased 8x8x2-in. or 9x9x2-in. baking pan, building up the edges about half an inch.
Bake the crust for 20 minutes.
Beat the filling ingredients with an electric mixer on HIGH speed for about 3 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy. Pour the mixture over the hot crust.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until no indentation remains when the center is lightly touched. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Cut into 1½-2-in. bars.