Monday, March 24, 2014

Black Bean and Chicken-Free Enchiladas

My local grocery store has started carrying Beyond Meat chicken strips. I decided last night that I would use this recipe from Epicurean Vegan. We really liked the Beyond Meat strips, the flavor and texture is really great, I'll be buying these again. I cubed the strips to make the enchiladas easier to eat.  I used cheddar instead of pepper-jack, added black olives and garnished with shredded lettuce, avocado, scallions and pickled jalapenos. These were delicious and I'm sure we'll make them again. I think they would be equally delicious with a red enchilada sauce.
  • 1 package (9-oz) Beyond meat vegan chicken strips, defrosted 
  • 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  •  1 can Rotel (tomatoes with diced green chilies), drained
  •  1 16-oz jar green enchilada sauce (salsa verde)
  •  1 cup Tofutti sour cream
  •  4-oz Tofutti cream cheese
  •  1/4 cup unsweet almond milk
  •  1/2 cup vegan cheddar shreds (I used Daiya)
  •  Garnish: shredded lettuce, avocado cubes, sliced scallions, pickled jalapenos
  •  6 flour (soft-taco size) tortillas (I had extra filling left over but only had room for 6 enchiladas in my dish)

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl whisk together the sour cream, cream cheese, cheese and milk.

Stir in the Rotel, black beans and chicken strips.

Scoop the chicken mixture evenly (I used a 1/2 cup scoop for each one) into 6  flour tortillas and roll up. To roll turn in the sides slightly the turn in the bottom and roll.

Cover the bottom of your dish with a layer of salsa verde. Place enchiladas seam side down into a 7×11 baking dish.

Cover with the salsa verde.

Top with sliced black olives.

Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. (Make sure the foil isn’t touching the tortillas too much, because it will stick to them). Enjoy with garnishes of your choice!
Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. I love that creamy filling, looks great! You'd never guess these were vegan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca,
      They were very delicious and filling. Let me know how you like them if you try them and thanks for dropping by my kitchen.
      Glo

      Delete