- 1 (14-ounce) package firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 4 cups no-chicken chicken broth
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's (liquid aminos)
- 1 tablespoon peeled fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained and cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup thinly diagonally sliced green onion tops
Place tofu on several layers of paper towels. Cover tofu with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Discard paper towels. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
To a large soup pot add broth and next 6 ingredients (through garlic); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Combine remaining 1/4 cup water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
Stir cornstarch mixture, tofu, mushrooms and bamboo shoots into broth mixture; bring to a boil.
Cook 3-4 minute, stirring occasionally; remove from heat.
Sprinkle with green onions. I also like to buy the crispy noodles in the Asian section of the market for garnish.