Sunday, November 3, 2013

Thai Curry Butternut Squash Soup

I've been buying winter squash when they are on sale and trying different recipes with them. I've made Butternut Squash Soup/Bisque before but I've seen several recipes lately that added red curry paste for a Thai twist. I grabbed a few of those and this is what I came up with.
  • 1 large butternut squash 
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
  • 5 mini red bell peppers (it's what I had on hand, use a regular red bell if that's what you have)
  • 1 can Thai coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
  • 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped (for garnish)
  • 1/3 cup roasted peanuts, chopped (for garnish)
  • Sriracha (for garnish and flavor)

Cut the butternut squash in half (be careful those things are hard to cut) and remove the seeds. Place in a casserole dish with a bout 1 inch of water and microwave for 10 minutes. (I had to do each half separately since my dish wasn't large enough.)

Once they are cool enough to handle peel the squash (they are much easier to peel if you cook them first.)

Heat the oil in a large soup pot and add onion until translucent, about 5-6 minutes.

Add the minced garlic, ginger and diced red pepper. Saute for a couple of minutes.

Add the squash, coconut milk, curry paste and peanut butter and heat just until peanut butter melts into the sauce.

Use an immersian blender and puree the mixture until it's nice and smooth.

Return pot to a low heat, add lime juice and stir. Cook for about 10 minutes until it's warm all the way through.

Ladle soup into bowls, taste - adjust seasonings if necessary. Garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I am going to make this soup this week. I love thai red curry and I love butternut squash. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace,
      Thanks for the comment & for visiting my kitchen. You may want to add more curry paste depending on how spicy you want it. I like SPICY food but try to keep it so everyone can enjoy! Let me know what you think once you try it!

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy! Pinned for later..... TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ellen, thank you for stopping by. If you make the soup let me know what you think of it.
      Take care,
      Gloria

      Delete
  3. LOVE the step by step instructions. I'm a visual learner and I'm not too familiar with butternut squash so this is really helpful. Looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, thanks for stopping by my kitchen and you're welcome. They aren't always the best of pics, but I think they do help a person see what's next. Hopefully you'll find some more interesting recipes while here.
      Take care,
      Gloria

      Delete
  4. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete