Saturday, November 9, 2013

Pesto Baked Ziti

I made fresh pesto 5-6 weeks ago and froze it. I saw this recipe from Kraft Foods and knew I wanted to make it a vegan dish. I love pasta and one-pot wonders. This made a huge casserole, so much in fact I made two small individual serving sizes for dinner that night with my husband and but the rest in a large casserole for a dinner later in the week with family.
  • 1 box (16 ounce) ziti pasta
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 package Tofurky Italian sausages, cut into coins
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 jar (24-28 ounce) Marinara sauce
  • 1/3 cup pesto
  • 10 ounces Toffuti cream cheese
  • 1 package (5 ounces) spinach
  • 1 package Daiya Mozzareall Shreds, divided
  • 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 375. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. I have found that if you put the drained pasta in a pot of fresh water it won't stick to itself.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage coins and brown. Add onion and garlic an sauge until tender (about 5 minutes.) Stir in marinara and pesto. Simmer about 10 minutes. Stir in cream cheese.

Drain pasta and put it in a LARGE bowl, add spinach.

Pour sauce over the spinach/pasta mix.

Add about 1/2 or a little more of the cheese (you want to have some left to sprinkle over the top of the casserole.)

Stir well to combine.

Pour into casserole dish(es), top with cheese.

Bake until heated through and cheese has melted on top, about 20-30 minutes.
Enjoy!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of doing a baked pasta with pesto, never thought of that before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Britni. I love pesto and this seemed like a logical way to add it to a delicious pasta dish. If you make it let me know what you think.
      Take care,
      Gloria

      Delete
  2. I'm learning so much about cooking for different dietary needs on all of the food blogs on DBB--it's so interesting! I've never even heard of a couple of the products that you've used, but the dish looks amazing. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my kitchen. LOL - we are plant based so some those ingredients may be foreign to you. Basically I included the brand name of the Italian Sausage (vegan), cream cheese (vegan) and mozzarella (vegan) in the description. You should use whatever your choice is for those items. If you make this I hope you'll let me know what you think of the dish.
      Thanks again,
      Gloria

      Delete