- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 thick slices red onion
- Daiya cheese shreds, I used cheddar
- 2 slices tomato
- 1/2 avocado, sliced thin
- letttuce, spinach, romaine, whatever you have on hand
- 2 buns, I prefer whole-wheat but didn't have them
In a large bowl large enough to hold your mushrooms, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, oil, and Montreal steak seasoning.
Place the mushroom caps in the bowl and toss with sauce, using a spoon to evenly coat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes, turning a few times.
Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Spray the pan lightly with oil. Cook the mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until tender, brushing with marinade frequently.
While the mushrooms cook, grill the onions about 1 minute on each side and top the mushrooms with cheese.
To serve, place the greens you chose and the grilled portobello mushrooms on the bottom bun and top with the grilled onions, sliced tomato and avocado.
This is a juicy burger, so be sure to lean over that saucer and have plenty of napkins handy.