I don't like long noodles in my soup so I broke the linguine noodles in half. It was the only long noodle I had on hand. But I think they are just too thick. In the ingredients below I'm listing angle hair - I know it would be better. But still break the noodles in half or even thirds.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 package chicken-flavor seitan, cut into strips
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce, or more to taste
- 8 ounces cooked angel hair pasta
- 1 can straw mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 fresh jalapeno, thinly sliced
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the seitan strips and brown on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the onion, ginger, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
Remove 1/2 cup of the hot liquid to a small bowl. Add the miso paste to the liquid in the bowl and stir to blend well. Transfer the blended miso paste into the soup along with the chili sauce. Do not boil. Stir in the cooked noodles, mushrooms, lime juice, and the reserved seitan.
Divide the soup among individual bowls. Top with bean sprouts, scallions, jalapeno slices and cilantro, as desired. Serve at once.