- 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- Olive oil
- 1 package chicken-flavor seitan, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 6 cups no-chicken - chicken bouillon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 6 cups kal, chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
Heat a large soup pot to medium-high. Add onion, carrot and 1/4 teaspoon salt to 1 teaspoon olive oil; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes.
Add seitan, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, chicken bouillon, bay leaves; bring to a boil.
Place quinoa in a fine sieve; under running water and using your fingers, rub grains together for about a minute. Drain well. Add quinoa to pan; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add kale and thyme to pan; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until kale is tender.
Discard bay leaves. Ladle soup into bowls.