- 4-5 large yellow onions, peeled, halved and sliced into thin crescents
- 1/2 teaspoon turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups of no-beef beef bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- a couple of slices (1 for each bowl) crusty bread or a split roll
- Daiya mozzarella cheese shreds
Add olive oil and butter to a large stock pot and heat over medium high heat. Add onions and saute 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and garlic and saute until browned, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Browning all the onions will take about 30 minutes. Stir about every 5 minutes or so so they brown but don't burn.
Sprinkle flour over onions and garlic and stir until everything is well blended.
Add bouillon, bay leaf and thyme. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Remove bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place soup bowls on a baking tray to easily transport. Ladle soup into oven proof bowls. Place one slice of bread/roll over the soup in each bowl and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.