- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- hot sauce, to taste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 package baby bella mushrooms, quartered (next time I'll use the entire package, you should do that now)
- 1 bay leaf
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 scallions or green onions, green and white parts, chopped
- cooked rice
Stir the onion, celery and green peppers into the pan. Continue to cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to become softened.
Add the garlic, stir and cook 2-3 minutes more, or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
Add the tomatoes to the pan. Season the vegetable tomato mixture with the black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, thyme, Old Bay and hot sauce to taste. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the sauce reduces slightly.
Add the mushrooms, broth and the bay leaf to the pan.
Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender. Top with fresh squeezed lemon juice and scallions. Serve over cooked rice.