- 1 sweet onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 package dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (I didn't have fresh so I used 1/2 a can of chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 9 cups water
Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker.
Pour in the water and stir to combine.
Cook on high for 8 hours. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid.
Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency. Enjoy!