- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and green parts divided
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 pound frozen Shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 3/4 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili paste
- 1 can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 cup Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 block extra-firm tofu, cubed into smallish pieces
- 1/4 cup Bragg's liquid amnions
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water (reserve 1/2 cup for slurry)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Saute scallions and sweet onion until soft.
Add mushrooms and saute until softened and liquid is released.
Add ginger, garlic and chili paste and stir for 1 minute.
Add bamboo shoots, cabbage and tofu, cook and stir for 1 more minute.
Add vinegar and soy sauce and stir to combine well.
Add broth and water (be sure to reserve 1/2 cup of water for the slurry).
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile mix cornstarch with water and stir well. Now, add to soup and heat until thickened.
Garnish with green parts of scallion (I also like to use those flat, crunchy things they put on soup in the restaurant but didn't have any this time.)