- 1 lb. whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 head cauliflower (about 6-7 cups of florets)
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 3/4 cups regular soy-milk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 24 ounces fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine, divided
- 1 block seitan, ground (you could also use a vegan ground beef product: Gardein, Beyond Meat, etc.)
- 1 cup Daiya Swiss, shredded
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta for 5 minutes - it should still be a little firm. Drain, toss with a drizzle of oil, and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, grind the seitan in your food processor.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the cauliflower, and cook for 5 minutes until tender-crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked cauliflower to a blender with 2 cups broth, soy-milk, oil, salt, and garlic. Puree until very smooth. You might need to do this in batches.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat the 3 tablespoons butter in a very large skillet. Add the mushrooms and saute until golden brown.
Toss the cooked pasta, cauliflower sauce, and mushrooms together in a huge bowl. Add the remaining cup of broth to help the consistency stay saucy.
Transfer to a deep 9x13 baking dish.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered at 400 for 10-15 minutes.
Serve with bread, salad and wine!