- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 package Tofurky Kielbasa, sliced into half moons
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups chickpeas
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bunch chard, slice out the thick rib in the middle then slice into ribbons
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Heat 1-2 teaspoons olive oil in heavy soup pot and brown the sausage. Then remove from pan and set aside.
Add another teaspoon oil to the pan and saute the onion and bell pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes, til soft but not brown.
Add the garlic and cook for about one minute longer.
Add vegetable broth, tomatoes with their juice and the chickpeas. Simmer for about 10 minutes while you cut up the chard.
Add the chard ribbons and black pepper, bring the soup to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour until the chard is very tender.
Serve with Triscuits or other crackers.