I made this was an amazing dish the last few days of 2014. I found the original over at SkinnyTaste and knew I wanted to make this one pot wonder vegan. I had some Tofurky Chorizo thawed in the frig and substituted a few other ingreidents to make this a vegan delight. I LOVED this dish. I will definitely be a make-again. Also, Jack loved that it all cooked in one pot so there were very few dishes to wash. The leftovers are amazing as well.
- 1 package Tofurky Chorizo
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 package reduced-sodium taco seasoning (or homemade)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (10 oz) rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 14.5 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 can refried black beans
- 15-oz no-chicken chicken broth (I used Better Than Bouillion)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 8 oz elbow pasta
- 3/4 cup Daiya cheddar shreds
- Garnish: fresh cilantro, chopped, chopped scallions
Heat a large Dutch oven or pot with a fitted lid over medium-high heat and spray with oil, add the onions, garlic, pepper and taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water; cook 2-3 minutes.
Add the canned tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, refried beans, chorizo, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer about 15 minutes. Adjust salt to taste.
Stir in the uncooked pasta and simmer uncovered over medium heat until al dente, according to package directions.
Remove the pot from heat and top with the cheese, cover and let sit for about 2-3 minutes, until the cheese melts. Serve immediately garnished with fresh cilantro and scallions.