Saturday, October 25, 2014

Creamy Tortilla Soup

Here's to soup season. A creamy, filling soup based on seitan, beans, corn and tortillas. I know this isn't the most beautiful soup, but it is amazing. This soup also reheats very well. I used a chicken-flavored seitan but  you can make your own. There are a ton of recipes out there, just Google it. I served this with cheese/salsa quesadilla.
  • 2 teaspoons each: cumin, coriander, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt
  • 1 package chicken-flavor seitan
  • 1 large white onion
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green)
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes- with green chilies
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
  • 2 cups frozen corn
  • 1/3 cup cornmeal
  • 2 handfuls of cilantro
  • 4 6-inch corn tortillas
  • 1 avocado
  • Garnish: toffuti sour cream 

Mix the spices together in a small bowl.

In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add a diced white onion.
 
Give that 2-3 minutes to soften before adding 2 cloves of minced garlic and 2 sliced bell peppers. Add about 1/2 of the spice mix directly onto these ingredients to give them some flavor, then let them continue to soften over medium heat for 5 minutes.
 
Stir in a tablespoon of tomato paste and the can of diced tomatoes.Then, add all the liquid: 4 cups vegetable broth, 2 cups of water, and 2 cups of non-dairy milk (I used soy here) as well as the 2 cans of beans and 2 cups of corn. Add the rest of the seasoning. Leave the heat at medium-low and give this 30 minutes to simmer (uncovered).
 
After 30 minutes, sprinkle in 1/3 cup cornmeal directly into the soup. This will add a ton of “weight” to the soup, making it feel much creamier with a hint of tortilla. Give this another 30 minutes (uncovered) to simmer.

Slice 4 corn tortillas into 1/2 inch wide strips and throw them right into the soup to soften for a moment. Add the cilantro and give it all a good stir.


To serve, transfer the soup to bowls and top with some avocado slices. You can also add a little Toffuti sour cream.
Enjoy!!

30 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, cilantro and avocado - I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has really remarkable flavors. Thanks for stopping by my kitchen.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie, it's really delicious. Thanks for dropping by my kitchen.

      Delete
  3. I'll definitely be trying this soon-- I had an amazing tortilla soup several years ago, and I haven't been able to find the recipe, but this sounds really similar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, let me know how you like it. We really enjoyed the flavors. Thanks for stopping by my kitchen.

      Delete
  4. I love a good soup recipe, but I've never had tortilla soup! Where has this been all my life? haha Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, we love soups too. I hope you'll give it a try and let me know what you think. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  5. I love chicken tortilla soup! I've never put avocado in my soup before, but it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, the avocado is a nice creamy garnish to finish off the bowl. It would also be good with extra cilantro or cheese. Let me know how you like it if you make some. Thanks for dropping by my kitchen.

      Delete
  6. I totally love tortilla soup, I must put yours on the menu and try it!!

    Hugs and thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evelyn, I love any soup and this one was a definitely make-again. Let me know how you like it. Thanks for stopping by. xoxoxo

      Delete
  7. We love tortilla soup here, it's one of the kids' favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll give this one a try and let me know what you think. Thank you for dropping by and the for the comment.

      Delete
  8. Tortilla soup is one of my favorites! I will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen, thanks for stopping by. Let me know how you like the soup.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  9. Yum! I love tortilla soup especially for this kind of weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britni, not sure where you are but here in Florida it's been cool at night even though it still gets to mid 80's during the day. I love soup and can eat it year round.

      Delete
  10. We love Mexican meals and this one looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my kitchen Sheena. We love Mexican food too, that's why we served these with quesadillas. UMMMM

      Delete
  11. I've never had a creamy tortilla soup before. Sounds delicious. I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I hope you love it as much as we did. Let me know after you make it. Thank you for dropping by my kitchen.

      Delete
  12. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at erecipe00@gmail.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, thank you! I'll head over now and check out the site.
      Thanks!!

      Delete
  13. I'm way into Mexican recipes! I will gladly try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krystal, let me know what you think of it.

      Delete
  14. Oh, Tortilla soup is divine! Love it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it too Kelly, I hope you;ll give this one a try and let me know what you think. Thanks for dropping by my kitchen.

      Delete
  15. I LOVE tortilla soups and always enjoy trying out new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Rebecca, If you make this I hope you'll let me know what you think and thanks for stopping by my kitchen.
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete