- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen blueberries (unthawed)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 flax-seed meal egg, (1 tablespoon flax-seed meal + 3 tablespoons warm water, lightly beate)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used Almond Breeze, Vanilla) + 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar (stir together and let sit)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 375°.
Combine flour and next 3 ingredients (through salt), stirring with a whisk.
Remove 2 tablespoons flour mixture; sprinkle over blueberries, tossing to coat.
Combine brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a medium bowl.
Drizzle with 2 tablespoons melted butter; toss to combine.
Place granulated sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and oil in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended (about 2 minutes).
Add flax egg; beat well.
Add flour mixture and faux buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition. Stir in rind and juice.
Spoon half of batter into a 9-inch square light-colored metal baking pan coated with cooking spray (do not use a dark or nonstick pan). I used a 9x9 amber glass pan.
Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup blueberry mixture.
Spoon remaining batter over blueberries.
Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup blueberry mixture.
Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture.
Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.