I had some soy curls I wanted to use and saw a recipe for this soup. I decided it would be a delicious weekend meal. This is my vegan version - this could also be made with seitan or any other "un-chicken" product you enjoy.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, diced (about a cup)
- 1 cup carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons AP flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth (3 cups water with bouillon cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups potato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 4 ounces soy curls (rehydrated)
- 5 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot sauce (or to your taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste (1/4 teaspoon or so)
Heat water in a large pot with a lid. Steam onion, carrot, and celery until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for another minute.
Stir in flour and cook for a minute.
Slowly add almond milk, whisking continuously until there are no lumps of flour visible. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens.
Add vegetable broth, potato, corn, soy curls, hot sauce, dill, basil, pepper, and lemon juice. Bring to a low boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover.
Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Taste and add salt and more hot sauce if desired.