TIP - to make peeling your squash easier: 1) poke it 6-8 times with a paring knife, 2) place on paper towel, 3) microwave for 1 minute, flip and microwave for 1 more minute.
- 1 2 1/2 - 3 pound butternut squash
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large Gala apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 48 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Toffuti sour cream
Peel, seed, and cube butternut squash. In 6-qt. Dutch oven melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fresh squash, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add apples, broth, cider, and peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables and apples are tender.
Remove from heat; cool slightly. When slightly cooled, puree in pot using an immersion blender. (Or puree in batches in a blender; return soup to saucepan.)
Blend in sour cream.
Makes 8 servings.