- 1 olive oil
- 1 cup TVP
- 3 Field Roast chorizo sausages, removed from casing and cut into rounds
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon oregano
- 1 12-ounce bottle of beer
- 1 24-ounce can petit diced tomatoes
- 1 cup no-chicken chicken boullion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Place the TVP in a heat proof bowl and add 1 cup boiling water. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
Add the reconstituted TVP and give it a stir.
Add the cumin, chili powder, and a pinch of salt and sauté for a couple of minutes.
Add the beer, bouillon, beans, tomatoes and oregano. Stir well and bring to a light simmer, cover partially with the lid and let it cook for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
Add sliced chorizo and keep cooking it until it has reduced to the consistency that you like. We enjoy a fairly thick chili but I do like to be able to dunk crackers or cornbread in it, so not too thick. Garnish with you favorite chili toppings: sour cream, cheese, scallions, cilantro, etc.