Sunday, March 25, 2012

Fig, Applesauce & Almond Loaf

I had everything needed to make this recipe vegan. I found it in my Cooking Light, October 2010 issue and had ripped it out to make. Yesterday was kind of a lazy, get a few things done kind of day so I decided to give this loaf a try. It's delicious and super moist. We ate it warm from the oven without anything added. However, the original calls for cream cheese and jelly smeared on it.

Streusel:
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped almonds
  • 1 tablespoon chilled Earth Balance margarine, cut into small pieces
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Bread:
  • 1 cup dried figs
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 2 egg replacements (I used EnerG)
  • 3/4 cup natural unsweet applesauce
  • 1/3 cup plain soy yogurt
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (if you have almond extract use it - I didn't)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350°. Make the streusel: combine the streusel ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a fork until crumbly; set aside.
To prepare bread: combine figs and 1/2 cup boiling water in a small bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Coat 2 (8-inch) loaf pans with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.

Place egg replacements (made according to package directions) in a medium bowl. Add applesauce, yogurt, oil, and vanilla extract; stir well. Add sugar; stir well.

Combine flours and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Drain figs, and coarsely chop.

Add figs and applesauce mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Divide batter between prepared pans.

Sprinkle streusel over batter.

Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans.

Cool completely on wire rack.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks yum, and I love the step-by-step pictures! I tried that once, it's a lot of work!

    I really want to try this bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, thanks for stopping by. All the pics are a lot of work but I love seeing what is supposed to be happening while I follow a recipe. I wish I had a better camera and/or was a better photographer.

      The bread is awesome, we ate a loaf and I took a loaf to work to share. It's not overly sweet and you can really taste and feel the figs. Let me know if you like it should you decide to try it.

      Delete