Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pastitsio

Happy New Year everyone - I'm sorry for the extended absence but the holidays have kept me hopping. Hopefully I'm back on track. I found this recipe in one of my magazines and located the Quick Pastitsio online so that I could provide the original. Below is my vegan version. I'm going to serve this pasta casserole with some garlic bread and red wine for a filling, warming dinner. Serves 4-6
Pastitsio with Garlic Bread

  • 8 ounces uncooked penne (I had partial boxes of Rotini, Penne and mini wheels and used them all)
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 package Gimme Lean Ground Beef
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups of your favorite unsweet vegan milk
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 8- ounce Toffuti cream cheese
  • 3/4 cup (3 ounces) Diaya mozzarella cheese


Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add Gimme Lean to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove beef from pan.

Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Add beef; sprinkle with salt. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.

Stir in milk, tomatoes, 1/2 of the mozzarella and cream cheese, stirring until smooth; bring to a simmer. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Stir in pasta.

Spoon pasta mixture into a baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Sprinkle with the rest of the over top.

Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes until it's nice and bubbly. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment