- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1/2 cup Toffuti sour cream
- 2 egg replacement (Ener-G)
- 1 3/4 cups soy milk
- 2 7-ounce cans of chopped green chiles, drained)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (Diaya - 4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Add about a tablespoon canola oil to a large cast iron (mine is 10 5/8 inch) skillet. Put skillet in oven to be getting hot.
In a medium bowl mix the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
In a separate bowl, beat the softened butter and sugar.
Beat the sour cream and eggs to the butter sugar mixture.
Add the milk and the dry ingredients, a third at a time and alternating wet/dry.
Mix in the green chiles, corn, and shredded cheese.
Take hot skillet (be careful) out of oven and pour off any extra oil. Pour mixture into prepared skillet. Bake for 35 minutes, until top is browned, the center springs back when pressed down, and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool almost completely before serving.
Makes about 12 serving pieces.