- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1/3 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup rotini pasta (or whatever you have on hand)
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the celery and carrot and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the green beans, dried oregano and basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook 3 more minutes.
Add the diced and crushed tomatoes and the vegetable broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in the kidney beans and pasta and cook until the pasta and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Ladle into bowls and top with the parmesan.
Serve with a side salad, bread or crackers and your favorite red wine!