- 1 package gardein beefless tips, cut each piece in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 cup parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups leeks, the white and some of the green
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup barley pearl
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a large soup or stock pot. Add the olive oil, celery, carrot, onion, parsnips, mushrooms, leeks and garlic.
Sweat until carrots are softened and onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth, red wine, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper and barley. bring the soup to a low simmer covered, for 30- 45 minutes until the barley is tender.
While the soup is simmering, heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add canola oil and caramelize the gardein beefless tips well on all sides.
Add the balsamic vinegar to soup and add more salt and pepper to taste if needed. Stir beefless tips into soup and serve with some bread. Enjoy!