Cowboy Caviar starts with a base of black-eyed peas, tomatoes, corn, and avocado. If you want more heat add a fresh sliced jalapeno pepper. Serve with tortilla chips for an appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salad oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (about 10 oz.)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black-eyed peas
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 pound Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 bag tortilla chips
In a large bowl, mix vinegar, hot sauce, oil, garlic, and pepper.
Peel, pit, and cut avocado into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to vinegar mixture and mix gently to coat.
Drain and rinse peas. Add peas, corn, onions and tomatoes to avocado.
Mix gently to coat. Add salt to taste.
Serve pea mixture with chips as an appetizer.