Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mexican Red Lentil Stew


I found this recipe on Kalyn's Kitchen and made some adaptions and I had red lentils in the pantry - so I had to try this one. I also wanted something yummy to serve along with the stew. Well, yesterday morning I was watching Mexican Made Easy on the Food Network and she (Marcela Valladolid) made Chicken Tostadas. I had some of her left over refried beans in the frig, so I made this recipe without the chicken (I didn't even use a replacement) and made the Fresh Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa (see link for both) and they were awesome. I hope you'll find the time to try these dishes, they were definitely make agains!! 

  • 1 cup dry red lentils
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I used the jarred minced garlic)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chile powder
  • 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes 
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce - more or less to suite your taste
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
  • 1/2 - 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • Garnish (optional): cut limes and vegan sour cream  for serving the soup

Put red lentils in a small pot, add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, turn off heat and cover. Let lentils sit in the hot water 30 minutes.

While lentils are cooking in the water, finely chop onions and celery and mince garlic (or you can use minced garlic from a jar like I did.) Heat olive oil in heavy soup pot, add onion and celery and saute for 3-4 minutes, just long enough that vegetables are starting to soften. Add garlic and cook a few minutes more. 

Add ground turmeric, ground cumin, and chile powder, stir, and cook 1-2 minutes more.

Add diced roasted tomatoes, vegetable broth, and hot sauce. Add lentils after they have soaked for 30 minutes, then let soup simmer for 15-30 minutes (or until lentils are as soft as you'd like them. I simmered it about 25 minutes.)

While soup cooks, wash, dry and finely chop 1/2 - 1 cup fresh cilantro and squeeze limes to get 1/4 cup fresh lime juice. When the lentils are softened as much as you'd like, stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice and cook 5 minutes more.

Serve hot, with additional cut limes to squeeze into the soup. Can top with sour cream or vegan substitute if desired.

I served the soup with the Tostadas and Fresh Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa.

What a delicious meal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment