Sunday, January 7, 2024

Bourbon Mango Black Bean Chili (WFPBNO)

I know this sounds like an odd combination, but trust me. This works. I based this on a recipe I saw online that I wanted to make whole food plant based no oil. I choose to use soy curls. You just break them into bite-sized pieces and soak them in broth or water for about 10 minutes. Then drain and squeeze all the liquid of of them. They remind me of pulled chicken. Anyway, this has a wonderful flavor and serves 4 so there isn't a huge investment involved. Give it a try and let me know in the comments below what you think of the dish. 
  • 1 cup soy curls* (see note above about soaking the soy curls)
  • 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
  • 1 heaping tablespoon pre-minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 heaping cup frozen mango cubes, thawed and cut in half
  • 2 tablespoons bourbon
  • 1teaspoon coconut sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • cilantro for garnish

Heat a couple of tablespoons water in a Dutch oven. Add onion and jalapeno and cook about 5 minutes until they soften. 

Stir in the garlic and cook another minutes.

Add the drained soy curls to the pot. Stir well.

Add chili powder and smoked paprika and cook another 3-5 mminutes.

Add the diced tomatoes and stir well.

Add black beans and mango to the pot and stir. Cook until warm. Add bourbon and brown sugar. Add the black pepper and cayenne right before serving.

Serve with cilantro and I always add a shot of Frank's hot sauce to my bowl.

Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment