- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash, slightly thawed if frozen
- Garnish: chopped avocado, shredded cheese, pickled jalapenos, hot pepper sauce, etc.
Preheat oven (I used my toaster oven) to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place sweet potatoes on pan and bake for 40-60 minutes, until tender. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan combine onion, 1/2 cup water, bell pepper, half the chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin and salt. Bring to boiling. Cook 8 minutes or until nearly all of the water is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
Add 1/2 cup water, the garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in beans, squash, remaining chili powder and cumin. Cook until slightly thickened.
To serve, spoon chickpea chili over halved sweet potatoes. Top desired garnishes.