- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 3 ounces Daiya Jalapeno Havarti, shredded
Preheat oven to 375F. In a large non-stick skillet add olive oil and saute onions and garlic 2-3 minutes.
Add 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, thyme, basil, red and yellow bell peppers.
Stir well and saute another 5-8 minutes on medium-low heat.
On a large non-stick griddle, grill the eggplant, zucchini and squash 2-3 minutes per side until they begin to soften. (This pic doesn't show the squashes, I cooked each the same way.)
Add 1/2 of the sauce to a casserole dish.
Layer the eggplants and squashes.
Pour on the remainder of the sauce.
Cover the top with the grated cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.