- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 cup lentils (I used brown)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups no-chicken bouillon (I used Better Than Bouillon)
- 2 cups water
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: vegan Parm cheese
Saute the onion, garlic, celery, carrots in about 1/4 cup water until softened. Add more water if it all evaporates.
Stir in cumin, coriander, lentils and tomato paste.
Add bouillon, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cover with lid slightly ajar. Cook 15-20 minutes until lentils are soft. Stir occasionally.
I served this with half a BLT (bacon tempeh, lettuce, tomato sandwich) but if you are not having a sandwich with it you could serve with croutons.