- 2 medium sized acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 ounces chipotle strip seitan, roughly chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cored and diced small
- 1 jalapeno, cored and diced small
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa (use your favorite)
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, frozen and thawed
- 1/4 cup Daiya cheddar cheese shreds
Preheat oven to 375F and line a cookie sheet with foil. Wash the squash and slice in half lengthwise. Using a spoon scoop out the seeds. Lightly rub the squash with a small amount of oil. Place each half on the cookie sheet cut side down.
Roast for 25-30 minutes until you can easily pierce them with a fork.
While the squash roast, prepare the filling. Heat a skillet (I used cast iron) over medium high heat. Add a small amount of oil and the seitan, sauteing about 1-2 minutes.
Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the taco seasoning.
Add the bell pepper and jalapeno. Stir and cook until they have softened, 1-2 minutes.
Add the scallions, cilantro, salsa and tomato sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the black beans and corn. Stir well. Turn the heat off and set aside.
Fill each squash half with the seitan and vegetable mixture.
Top with a little cheese.
Return to the oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serve with a side salad or some couscous.