- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Masa Harina (found on the ethic isle in the grocery)
- 6 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon no-chicken bouillon
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 2 cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 cube Hatch chiles (or a 4 ounce can green chiles)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 package Gardein Meatless Chick'n strips cut into thirds
- Garnish: tortilla strips, avocado, lime juice, sour cream, etc
Heat a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add olive oil and allow it to heat through. Add onion and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent and a bit golden.
Add Masa to the onion mixture. Give it a stir and allow it to cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add 3 cups water and 1 tablespoon of the no chicken broth to the soup pot and stir to combine, making sure all of the mesa mix has been incorporated.
Add the remaining 3 cups water and 1 tablespoon no chicken broth to pot. Stir well.
Add the black beans, tomatoes (with juice), corn, chick'n pieces, enchilada sauce, spices and chilies. Stir to combine. Allow the soup to simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve with garnishes of your choice.
You could use tortilla chips or even corn chips if you don't have tortillas to cut up and bake.