- 3 yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine, divided
- 2 cups diced sweet onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen)
- 1 package Daiya cheddar shreds
- 1/2 cup Toffuti (vegan) sour cream
- 1/2 cup Just Mayo
- 2 large flax eggs, (1 T flaxseed meal + 3 T warm water = 1 egg, mix these together and stir well, let sit about 5 minutes)
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 cups soft, fresh breadcrumbs, divided (I make my own and keep it in the freezer)
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast , divided
Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 2 tablespoons Earth Balance in a skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes.
In a large bowl stir together squashes, onion mixture, corn, next 6 ingredients, and 1/3 cup each breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast just until blended.
Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
Melt remaining 2 Earth Balance. Stir in remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs and 1/3 cup nutritioanl yeast. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and set. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
I served this with Gardein Chipotle Lime Crispy Finger - drenched in Frank's hot sauce.