Sunday, November 16, 2014

Southern Greens

I love greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, you name it. I grew up eating greens, but not everyone knows how to cook them. I did skip a step and buy ready to cook greens. If you have fresh ones from the market just be sure to wash them well (than can be sandy), strip out the middle tough stem and then roll them up like a cigar and slice them.

We love a big pot of greens served with hot pepper sauce and onions. Usually when we eat greens we also have some kind of peas (with hot chow-chow) and a protein. We love Gardein products and they have so many varieties to choose from. This dinner was a mustard greens and turnip greens mix, zipper peas and Gardein  wings. UMMMMM....
  • 1 package mustard & turnip greens mix
  • 3 cups vegetable broth

Bring broth to a boil.

Add greens (I had to add half, wilt them down and then add the other half.)


Cook about 45 minutes until very tender.
Enjoy!!

8 comments:

  1. Mmm... these looks great! Nothing like a heaping pile of greens on my plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we thought they were delicious. Thank you for dropping by my kitchen!

      Delete
  2. Ooohhh...these look yummy, and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, we thought they were yummy! And yes, there is no fat or oil added to them.

      Delete
  3. Looks Delicious! I've always wanted to try southern type greens and these look really good to add to my dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan, let me know if you make them. They are so easy, just don't forget the pepper sauce and onions.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by my kitchen!

      Delete