- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds cubed Russet potatoes, peeled
- 5 cups no-chicken chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups light soy milk
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 1/2 cup Toffuti sour cream
- 2 ounces grated cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
Preheat oven to 450°. Combine 1 tablespoon oil, cauliflower, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray; toss to coat.
Roast at 450° for 30 minutes or until browned, turning once.
While the cauliflower is roasting heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, thyme, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Add potatoes, broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until potatoes are very tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
Add cauliflower and milk to the Dutch oven with the potatoes. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
Taste, if needed stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add 1/2 cup green onions, and sour cream; stir until sour cream melts.
Ladle soup into 8 bowls or cups. Top evenly with remaining green onions and grated cheese.
Enjoy! I served with a slice of Anadama Bread on the side.