Thursday, November 4, 2010

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Fall squash are pretty new to me. They were all on sale recently and I stocked up and then needed recipes to try. I don't know where I found this Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe - I would love to give the blog/person/site credit (trust me I Googled it and couldn't find it). The only change I made was slightly more olive oil and instead of crumbling the sausage (which I find nearly impossible) I cut each link in half and then half again. This is delicious!!!!

  • 1 acorn squash
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 links Tofurky Italian Sausage, cut in half and then half again (so each slice is quartered)
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup Toffuti sour cream
  • 1/4 cup Daiya mozzarella, shredded
  • Panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven (I always use my toaster oven so the entire kitchen doesn't heat up) to 400. Slice squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon making a nice spot for the stuffing.

Brush squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake squash with cut side down on parchment or foiled lined baking sheet. Bake until fork tender, about 30 minutes depending on the size of your squash.

Meanwhile, brown sliced sausage over medium heat in about a teaspoon of olive oil. Once browned, set aside.

Add 1 more teaspoon olive oil to skillet and add onions and celery. Saute until onion is translucent. Add garlic and saute for one more minute. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, add sausage, onion mixture, spinach, sour cream and cheese. Stir well.

Stuff squash halves evenly with stuffing. If you have extra stuffing you can put it in a ramekin and bake it along with the squash. Sprinkle top with panko.

Bake squash at 350 for 15 minutes until stuffing is heated through and starting to brown on top.

Serve with a side salad and a glass of wine to round out the meal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment