Monday, February 11, 2019

No more Cholesterol Meds!!!

Okay everyone, happy dance. As you know we've been vegan for 9 years. At the end of last October I decided to kick it up a notch. Although we were eating healthy and sticking to eating vegan (no cheating). I felt like we (hubby and me) were eating too much processed food. Now don't get me wrong,  I love Gardein, Field Roast, Tofurky, etc. including all the vegan cheeses. Even some ice cream. But I felt we could do better. I do a lot of reading and research and decided to go Whole Foods Plant Based No Oil (WFPBNO). I thought this was going to be a hard transition but honestly, it's not been that much different and I am reaping the benefits! My HEALTH!

To date I have lost 17 pounds!!! Today I met with my doctor to go over my blood results - I am no longer on cholesterol meds!!! I was stoked when I received my blood work copy, my over all cholesterol went from 204 to 183, my HDL (good) went from 73 to 81 and my LDL (bad) went from 100 to 78. I am beyond excited to continue on this path.

My Dr. asked what I ate and asked if I would include it on my blog so she can send/show patients a better way of eating. During the week I usually alternate Avocado Toast and Overnight Oats. On the weekend I usually cook a Tofu Scramble or Breakfast Burrito.

Today was Avocado Toast. I use Ezekial 4:9 Sprouted 100% Whole Grain Flourless Bread, which can be found in the freezer of most grocery stores.  I keep the bread in the freezer and just take out 2 slices and let them come to room temperature, top with 1/2 of an avocado and few slices of tomato. But you could top it with other things, just Google "avocado toast" for other ideas.

This is a pic of today's breakfast. I follow a lot of the Forks Over Knives recipes and this is the Overnight Oatmeal that we love. I just make it in a pint mason jar and you can make 4 at once. That keeps Jack and I in oatmeal for 2 days. 

Lunch, as a general rule, is leftovers from the night before. Dinner is usually something that I can whip up after I get home from work. Friday night I made the Brand New Vegan's Cauliflower Tacos and they were amazing.

It is so easy to cook my dishes without oil. Instead of putting oil in your pan to saute your onion and garlic prior to making your dish, just add a tablespoon or two of water or vegetable broth to the pot.  Then proceed with your recipe.

There are many recipes on this blog and yes a lot of them use processed products. But I am hoping to remake them without those products and re-post them.

I am posting all of this in hopes that it will encourage you to eat a healthier diet for yourself. You are worth it!!!

Here are a few of my go to sites:
Forks Over Knives
Brand New Vegan
Engine 2
Clean Food Dirty Girl


0 comments:

Post a Comment