- 2 uncooked Tofurky Italian sausages, sliced into half moons
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped (I used yellow)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups no-chicken stock, I used Better Than Bouillon base mixed with water)
- 2 can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups roughly chopped collard greens (remove tough middle stem)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Thursday, December 3, 2015
Black-Eyed Peas & Collard Stew
We're growing our own collard and turnip greens this year. It is so cool to go out and cut off the leaves needed for a dish and let the plants continue to produce more for future meals. We love greens and adore black-eyed peas. We grew black-eyed peas in our garden when we lived in Texas, talk about fun!!!! So without further ado here's a delicious stew for the cooler weather using both of these ingredients. I added Tofurky Italian sausages for extra yumminess.
In a medium Dutch oven or heavy soup pot, cook sausages until brown on both sides. Set aside.
Add 1/4 cup water to pan and heat. Add onions and bell pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes.
Add garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
Add no-chicken broth, peas, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer for 15 minutes.
Add tomatoes, collards, vinegar and liquid smoke. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add sausages the last 3-4 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve immediately. Makes 4-6 servings. Enjoy!