- 1 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head), steamed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package Beyond Meat chicken strips, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 5 teaspoons flour
- 2 cups vegan milk, divided (I used Almond Breeze unsweet)
- 1/3 cup vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti)
- 3/4 package Daiya shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot then add rice. Cook according to package directions. When rice has 5 minutes left to cook add broccoli and green onions on top to steam.
Meanwhile, whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk in a small bowl.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour milk/flour mixture into skillet then add remaining 1-1/2 cups milk. Cook mixture, stirring constantly, until thickened, 7-10 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat then add 3/4 of the shredded cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and stir until smooth. Add rice and stir well.
Stir in steamed broccoli stir well.
And chopped chicken to the mixture and stir again.
Heat oven to 350. Scoop mixture into a sprayed 9×7 casserole dish.
Top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted then let casserole rest for 5 minutes before serving.
This is really a one-dish dinner with the protein, veg and rice all mixed together. Serve with bread and/or a side salad.