- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegan milk of your choice (I use Silk, original, light)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bag Daiya, cheddar-style shreds
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cups Italian style bread crumbs
Boil salted water in large pot, and add cauliflower. Boil until barely tender, about 5-7 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid and set aside.
Melt Earth Balance in same pot over medium heat, then whisk in flour to create a roux. Stir constantly for about a minute until it’s really thick and well mixed. Whisk in milk, garlic and reserved cooking liquid and continue to whisk constantly until it starts to thicken, about 7-10 minutes.
Reduce heat to the lowest setting and stir in Daiya, nutritional yeast and chili powder. Keep stirring until the Daiya is completely melted.
Fold in the cauliflower.
Coat a 13×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray, then spread cauliflower mixture in dish.
Top with breadcrumbs.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. You’ll see the cheesy mixture bubbling around the edges.
This sauce would be great with any veggie that lends itself to a cheesy sauce: broccoli or a broccoli/cauliflower mix or noodles of course.