- 1 package Tofurky Italian sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (3.8-ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 (24-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 flax eggs (1 egg = 1 tablespoons flaxmeal + 3 tablespoons water mixed well)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pound rotini pasta, cooked
- 2 cups grated Diaya mozzarella cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 4-quart casserole dish. Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente, remember it's going to bake in the oven so it'll be cooking some more. Drain and set aside.
In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, cook sausage until well done. Remove from pan and set aside.
Melt Earth Balance in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots, and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Add mushrooms and black olives and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, and flax eggs. Stir in diced tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano, and Italian seasoning.
Layer half of pasta,
half of mushroom mixture,
half of sauce mixture,
and half of cheese into prepared casserole dish.
Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
Place on a baking sheet incase it bubbles over. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.