- Olive oil
- 1 package Field Roast Italian sausages, cut into coins or half-moons
- 1 large sweet onion, quartered and sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 each, red, yellow and orange bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, julienned, divided
- 8 ounces (or more) Pappardelle or wide short-flat noodle
Prepare your noodles according to the instructions on the package; then, drain very well. Set aside until sauce is ready.
Place a large, heavy pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil and add sausage. Allow to brown and remove from pan.
Using the same pan, add the sliced onion (and a little oil if needed) and allow to caramelize and become golden, about 5 minutes or so. Stir occasionally so they don't burn.
Add the salt, Italian seasoning and black pepper, stir to combine.
Add the bell peppers and allow to cook about 2 minutes until slightly tender.
Toss in the garlic, stir, once aromatic (30 seconds to 1 minute) add the white wine and allow to reduce for a few minutes.
Next add in the diced tomatoes with their juice, return the sausage and gently fold the mixture to combine. Allow to simmer 4-5 minutes then turn heat off.
To finish the sauce add a drizzle of 2-3 tablespoons olive oil (or not) and add the chopped parsley and half of the basil. Stir.
Add the prepared noodles and toss well. Check to see if extra salt or pepper are needed. Divide between 4 bowls and top with remaining basil. You can top it off with nutritional yeast if desired.