Sunday, March 12, 2023

Spicy Lima Beans and Cabbage (WFPBNO)

I bought a huge head of cabbage from a produce stand on the way home from the beach last Thursday. I made some soup (blah) out of some of it and was looking for a way to use more and some leftover rice in the frig. This dish is based off a recipe by the same name in Dr. McDougall's Starch Solution book. I made a few tweaks and I will definitely be making this dish again. It is so simple yet it doesn't skimp on flavor. 

  • 2 1/2 cups frozen lima beans
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of saltfree spice mix (I have a blend of dehydrated veggies with a grinder)
  • 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
  • 3 cups cooked rice (I had leftovers in the frig)
  • Cheese sauce to garnish

If you don't have leftover rice start cooking rice before you begin. In a large skillet with a lid add lima beans, cabbage, water and soy sauce. Cook about 2-3 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.

Add the spice mix and sambal and cook about 3 minutes longer. Stir well.

Add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes.

Stir in the rice and gently stir until the rice is fully incorporated into the dish.            

Continue to cook until the rice is heated through and the vegetables are tender.

Serve immediately.

I topped mine with Chuck's Cheese Sauce that I had made earlier in the day.

Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment